Monday, January 15, 2018

Upon Your Wings





I absolutely love the visuals God gives us in His word. I have always been drawn to the passages that mention eagles, but never quite understood them until I looked up commentary recently.


"When its young are first fledged, the eagle is said to assist them in their flight by flying beneath them, so that they may settle upon its wings or back, if necessary. God means that He has bestowed upon His people the same tender and powerful care, has borne them up mightily when they might have fallen, supported their first flight as fledglings, and so saved them from disaster."

"You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself." Exodus 19:4

"As an eagle stirs up its nest,
Hovers over its young,
Spreading out its wings, taking them up,
Carrying them on its wings..." 
Deuteronomy 32:11

"but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint."
 Isaiah 40:31

Out of this new found knowledge and excitement, somewhat of a poem was birthed from my soul....

As the eagle stirs up it's young
Because it knows what is best
You, Oh Lord, stir me as well
Out of the comfort of my nest

Through all the "what ifs" and "I cannots"
You remain ever so patient and kind
Encouraging me to rise up and trust
That You won't forsake nor leave me behind

You cover me with Your mighty wings
I am hidden and safe under Your shadow
But You persist, lovingly stirring me
To spread my wings, trusting as I follow

In the sky, I look beneath me
Your mighty wings spread wide
So much time I wasted fearing a fall
All the while, upon Your wings I ride

If I become weak and tired, I will not panic
Your wings are underneath providing me rest
If I fall, I fall upon You, no safer place
The sky contains beauty unseen from the nest

Oh God, Your wings cover and protect
Your wings stir me though my faith be poor
You renew my strength, raising me up
I hope in You and upon Your wings I soar


No comments:

Post a Comment